May 26, 2014

Taking stock – Examining reviews by publisher

Regular readers will be familiar with my gender audits and so this time I thought I would examine reviews by publisher to get a handle on how my reviews are weighted.

Now the following list only goes back over the last 2.5 years.  It lists publishers and self publishers and should give you a broad picture of the work I have reviewed.  In makes no differentiation between review copies and books that I selected/bought myself, indeed it’s missing a number of books bought from TPP and Ticonderoga that languish on my TBR pile.

Publisher

2014

2013

2012

Total

Hachette/Orbit/Etc

5

9

16

30

Wizard’s Tower

1

1

0

2

Solaris

4

1

3

8

Interactive Press

1

0

0

1

Picaro

2

1

0

3

ARF

1

0

0

1

A&U

2

3

4

9

SALT

2

0

0

2

Shambala

1

0

0

1

Peggy Bright

1

1

2

4

Shane Kozycan

1

0

0

1

UQP

1

0

0

1

FableCroft

0

2

0

2

Twelfth Planet

0

2

6

8

Ticonderoga

0

2

0

2

Satalyte

0

1

0

1

Momentum

0

2

4

6

Endeavour

0

1

0

1

Cloudburst

0

1

0

1

Flipreads

0

2

0

2

FutureFire

0

1

0

1

Harper Collins

0

3

0

3

Bloomsbury

0

2

1

3

CSFG

0

1

0

1

Emergent

0

2

0

2

Patty Jansen

0

2

0

2

XOUM

0

0

2

2

Rabia Gale

0

0

2

2

Tor Rox.

0

0

1

1

Patrick Duffy

0

0

1

1

Gilgamesh

0

0

1

1

Angry Robot

0

0

1

1

RBB

0

0

1

1

Glenda Larke

0

0

1

1

Math P.P.

0

0

1

1

CDL

0

0

1

1

Clan Destine

0

0

1

1

Comments

I can’t say there’s much that is surprising here, I thought that the reviewing would be heavily weighted toward Hachette etc. because the send me quite a lot books and aren’t shy about doing so. 

I thought I had reviewed more Twelfth Planet Press but then I sometimes forget that I have purchased most of their catalogue and not necessarily read it all. I note too that the Twelfth Planet Press and to a lesser extent Ticonderoga’s reviews are influenced by the fact that I have been participating in the Australian Women Writers project for some time and those two presses are focussed supporters of Australian women writers.  Twelfth Planet Press’ Twelve Planets Collection is a nice way to make your challenge target.

The Solaris figures are a little surprising but then I'’m a huge Rowena Cory Daniells fan and they have recently picked up Jonathan Strahan as well so maybe I shouldn’t be.

Top 5 reviewed publishers over the last 2.5 years

  1. Hachette etc    30
  2. Allen & Unwin  9
  3. Solaris/TPP     8
  4. Momentum      6
  5. Peggy Bright   4

If I break the table into Traditional/Medium and Small Presses(incl Self pubbed)

Large 45
Medium 17
Small 49

Note I have ranked Solaris and Momentum as medium presses.

I think there’s an even spread between small and large presses and to be honest Hachette gives me access to a number of subsidiary publishers so I am not concerned about the weight they seem to have here.  Indeed they also publish a few Aussie authors in our scene.

Likewise I am not too concerned with the weighting among some of the more prolific small presses.  I have a Peggy Bright title in my reading queue at the moment and I have only one more Twelfth Planet book I am reading.  But I will use this as an excuse to read Angela Slatter’s and Lisa L Hannett’s collections from Ticonderoga. 


Did you enjoy this post? Would you like to read more? You can subscribe to the blog through a reader, by Email or Follow me on twitter.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...