Feb 3, 2011

Library Loot: February 2 to 8 - Dead Samurai

Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire from The Captive Reader and Marg from The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader that encourages bloggers to share the books they’ve checked out from the library. If you’d like to participate, just write up your post-feel free to steal the button-and link to it via the plugin on the host's page. And of course check out what other participants are getting from their libraries! This week is hosted by Marg from The Captive Reader




This weeks loot nearly didn’t happen owing to my birthday celebrations and subsequent traveling all over the countryside and my library deciding to do an upgrade that kept me unable to log in to checkout titles I had on hold.


Thankfully though all was not lost.  I was able to get in eventually and this week I decided to experiment a little by borrowing a graphic novel.  I wanted to see how well my Sony PRS 505 handled it.


The Loot

Dead Samurai by Aron Lusen is a graphic novel obviously set in Japan, my recent reading of Shane Jiraiya Cummings' The Smoke Dragon had me in the mood for another visist to pseudo historical Japan.


The Synopsis



The bodies of local samurai are found mutilated in the fields, and no one knows who is responsible. Reluctant to become involved, Kyuzomo is conflicted by his duty to defend and his deep desire to re-forge a life and love that he once had.

Kyuzomo is a man without a memory.

Long presumed dead, and wanted for murder, Kyuzomo wanders home after a mysterious eleven year absence, only to find his former life in shambles and his village in the grip of fear.

With the specter of his dark history looming, Kyuzomo must fight to destroy an evil menace that is ravaging a village he once called home and piece together the mystery of his missing years.





How did it go?


Not well, at least on my reader.  The format is pdf and enlarging the pictures so that I could read the dialogue made it an arduous process.  I ended up reading it on my laptop and even then it required enlargement and fiddling.  


It would be interesting to know how it performs on colour readers like the iPad.  Even then I suspect that I would prefer to read/view graphic novels in paper form.  I think the artwork and hence your appreciation of it suffers in the digital form.




Did you enjoy this review? Would you like to read more? You can subscribe to the blog through a reader or Follow me on twitter.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...